Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Great Big Tibor Gergely Post

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I don't usually put quite soooo many pictures in one blog post but I had to since we are talking about Tibor Gergely's Great Big Book of Bedtime Stories.  I felt like I had found a treasure when I came across this one at a book sale!  So about the illustrator.  Did you know it's pronounced Gare-gay (not like Gurgly, like I've been saying it in my head?!LOL.)  He was born in Hungary.  He illustrated for a lot of different authors.  The pictures I've included in this post are from these stories:  Scuffy the Tugboat by Gertrude Crampton, Tootle by Gertrude Crampton, Travel by Kathleen N. Daly, ("one day, perhaps man will be able to go to the moon...") Animal Gym by Beth Greiner Hoffman,  A Year in the City by Lucy Sprague Mitchell, Seven Little Postmen by Margaret Wise Brown, Little Yip-Yip and His Bark by Kathryn and Byron Jackson, Lion Cub's Busy Day by Barbara Shook Hazen, Daddies by Janet Frank, The Little Red Caboose by Marian Potter, Animal Orchestra by Ilo Orleans, Gergely's Golden Circus by Peter Archer, The Happy Little Whale by Kenneth Norris, and The Golden Year by Peggy Parish.  And there are still many more stories in this great collection!  It's hard to pick a favourite. We are visiting my parents right now and brought this book along so my older daughter is enjoying reading these stories with everybody while we are here at the lake. Some of these stories I also own in Little Golden Book form and will probably blog about in more detail in the future.  
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures. I love Gergely. (And I didn't know how to pronounce his name, either.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add me to the list of those mentally butchering this poor man's name...I had no idea it was pronounced Gare-gay! Love, love, love his artwork which is always so crammed with interesting details and vibrant colors. It's just one of those things you cannot look at without being cheered:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched a YouTube video in which Tibor's step-great granddaughter interview's her father about Gergely. She pronounces his name (with hard G's) as
    TEE-bor GUR-gul-EE. I had always wondered too, but surely she would know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Judy? Hmm, interesting! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete